The Methodist Church was founded in the 1700s by an Anglican priest, John Wesley. Wesley came from England to share the Gospel and the sacraments with those here in America. Although Wesley's intentions were never to begin a new denomination, his efforts stood out among the people. He quickly made a name for himself and for the "method" by which he shared and approached the Gospel.
Bath Methodist Episcopal Church was founded in 1825. Land for the first church building was purchased in 1826. In 1840 a lot was purchased near the first church, on the corner of Carteret and Church (now Harding) Streets. A larger colonial-style church building was built, with green shutters at the windows and a slave gallery reached by two sets of stairs.
There have been a number of ministers for the Bath Circuit. In some years a minister was not named at Conference. Records indicate “to be supplied”, and a minister was sent later in the year. However, in 1864 and 1865 the bishop was not able to attend the Annual Conference during the Civil War. In those years the Bath Circuit was not listed in the records and no minister was sent to Bath.
In 1892 land was purchased on Main Street, and the current building was completed by 1894. The pulpit furniture and pews in the church today are the ones that were purchased when the building was new. A brand new belfry bell was commissioned from C. S. Bell & Co.in Hillsboro, Ohio.
Bath church remained on a circuit until 2001. Other Methodist churches that shared in the circuit were Pantego, Pinetown, Bethany (Winsteadville) and Asbury (Washington). Only the latter two remain in operation today. For years Bath church had services only on the first Sunday night of the month. Starting in 1977 worship services were held every Sunday morning. Bath’s Worship Service was held at 9:30 a.m., followed by Sunday school.
In the mid-1980’s a fellowship hall was erected behind the sanctuary building. In 1995 additional building projects included three Sunday school rooms and administrative office spaces.
In 2001 Bath became a “single charge” or Station church, with a full-time pastor.